30 Apr 2008
- based on their foundational usefulness and societal influence.
- World Wide Web: besides making the Internet easier to use, it was also free whereas Gopher would no longer be free to use.
- Java: a programming language that is both open source and non-platform specific.
- Linux: Forced Microsoft, a monopoly, to compete with a free and ever-improving operation system. Also brought awareness to the concept of open source.
- PageRank: an improved search engine algorithm based on the assumption that better quality webpages are linked to more often.
- Bio steel
- High Performance Concrete
(6’x 10’ sheet just 1 inch thick that bends as it continues to support a 2,000 lb car.)
- Light transmitting Concrete
- Translucent Concrete
- Pervious Concrete
(The pavement that drinks water)
- Foamed Aluminum
- Natural Polymers
- Expandable Cement Mixture
- Rubber Sidewalks
- Light Emitting Laminated Glass
- Translucent Fabric
- Polution Reducing Cement
- Texlon Roof System (Inteligent and dynamic cladding system)
- Transparent Solar Cells / Spherical Solar Cell
- Biodegradable Plastic
29 Apr 2008
28 Apr 2008
19 Apr 2008
We have chosen five big categories: culture, economy, nature, technology and politics.
In these categories we are trying to compare the developement between postmodernism and network culture along subcategories.
How does this sound to you? What have you been working on?
16 Apr 2008
1987 - The first laptop successful on a large scale by U.S. Air Force
1989 - Macintosh Portable
1995 - Windows 95
1991 - The precursor to Wi-Fi was invented by NCR Corporation / AT&T
2005 FEB- youtube
1993 - First Web magazine , The virtual journal,is published but fails commercially
1993 – Commercial providers were allowed to sell internet connections to indivisuals
1995 - DVD
1988 - The first true camera that recorded images as a computerized file was likely the Fuji Ds – 1p
1987 - vision correction laser
1993 - Global Positioning System
1997 - Non-mechanical, Digital Audio Player
1990s early – The mobile billboard industry
2006 – The world first ever cancer vaccine
(Some programs can allow you to add your own info... some you can understand the hierarchies and begin to format it on your own in illustrator (or something))
Personal Facebook Mapping
Also look at time magazines... they have the best diagrams... anyway... here is some eye candy...
All nodes (and their edges) are color-coded according to the category of their topics.
Edge thickness indicates the level of connection between two topics.
This image is created using Silobreaker's Network Search and Adobe Photoshop, as
a sketch for the organizational model being developed by me. I am going to try to
script it using Processing to automate the process of creating the network so that we
could put more data into it in shorter time and to give it more functions (e.g. short
descriptions as tooltips) and add other parameters to the diagram (e.g. Time).
By the way, I found out about Silobreaker in VisualComplexity.com.